Friday, March 20, 2009

Winging It

In my life, wherever it is I wander -- big cities or far off the beaten path -- I meet people. While my beliefs do not allow me to rely on coincidence, or believe that things merely 'happen', I do believe 'life' introduces us to people for a reason. Their purpose may be difficult to understand at first, but I do believe that anytime you meet eyes with someone (keep in mind I am not referring to conversations that take place after 12AM and are alcohol induced) and glimpse a glimmer of their soul (not to be confused with eye-contact) they are meant to play a purpose in your life... obviously some more than others. I do feel that when the focus is on getting to know someone vs. other reasons you may spend time with someone (keeping it PG, friends!) there is more of a true relationship that can develop and that can one day lead to being friends...or playing a role in each other's lives for years to come.

My travels in Spain have have been absolutely beautiful for the situations and people that have come my way -- the boys club in San Sebastian, Mr. Reiki, Pierre, Laura, Sam the Taxi Driver, etc. And while I will say to anyone, "I am truly flying by the seat of my pants"... I know that 'life' has its hand in it some way. My decisions are made purely by me, but I do sense there is an angel -- or many angels -- looking over my shoulder to see that such decisions work out for the best...as I have met many people in extremely odd ways, that are all worth raising an eyebrow.... Sometimes you just have to trust your instincts and roll with it.

Tonight was one of those fun-filled nights that I could not have planned, and truly was relying on the 'God of Randomness' to see that things ended up where they should. (is their a God of Randomness? I think their should be!)

With map in hand and in search of Plaza Sant Ana, I found Frenchie Sam the taxi driver outside this amazing hotel. Totally trendy and gorgeous -- both Sam and the hotel. I had to wonder for a minute what he was doing driving a taxi in Madrid, but I already knew his story.

He is working tonight but wanted to ensure I knew the best streets to in Madrid for drinks, live music, good lounges and overall, places with good vibes. He did not disappoint. Once a brief tour of the area we are into the hotel for a drink, my favorite way of starting the night -- abroad or NYC. The penthouse lounge is amazing, "tres NYC" he kept saying.

(I love how everyone in Europe is all about "NYC"... and here I am roaming their country for a bit!)

The view from above is of the square below, its very quiet and almost tropical feeling with the balmy weather of Madrid and the wind blowing. Very Miami-esque.

Anyway fun times in the Penthouse pursue. Sam is an 'Aries' (he volunteers this, I did not ask) and truly ALL OVER THE PLACE. Conversation is flying from one topic to the next... he basically tells me his life story, how everyone loves him because he's French and has a crazy accent, that his boss thinks he is amazing....etc. etc. etc. Very lively conversationalist, quite an entertainer, glad he took me under his wing to show me Madrid and be my chauffeur should I need it...however, also secretly glad he is sprinting for his job when the drink is done. People with that kind of energy tend to wear me out, as there is no sense of balance in the conversation. Its all about them, and with them not taking a breath between sentences sometimes its hard for me to do so too. But he said he was an Aries. Definitely spot on.

I have all of Plaza Sant Ana to enjoy as I may for the rest of the evening. I thought about calling it a night and strolling home, but my heels were killing me. I thought about returning to the hotel as I was craving a Mojito, and I remember seeing that on the menu... And then BAM! Sign says "BEST MOJITOS IN MADRID"... Remember I am the asshole that only believes half of what people say, BUT I bet they are pretty good, so in I bop.

Leave it to me to choose an English speaking bar, but hey, I said I wanted a good conversation tonight so here we go...

I order a mojito (very good choice) and get distracted with news on my blackberry. When I look up a very young someone is trying to say "hello" in every language possible (Hola... hello...What's Up... Que pasa? etc.) I have to smile, which he takes as an intro.

'Matheus' I soon learn is from Brazil, which is a good point for conversation as I loved my time in Brazil (minus that spent in the dental office... but thank god my teeth were not involved!) . He speaks English fairly well... much better than my Spanish skills. He's charming and funny, and has a lot of big questions about life, which I love to see in young people... and older too, but it seems the average inquisitive mind dies at age 27/28... Sad, but seemingly true.

When I run to the loo, I come back to find a rose sitting at 'my table"... whether it should be attributed to the young, or the Spanish, I know not. But I do know it was/is very much appreciated.

Good conversation and a few beers later, I am ready to call it a night. This isn't before making sushi plans for Sunday after the bull-fight... which I am SO excited about on both fronts! (again, sorry my animal loving friends... for the bull-fighting, but sushi is okay, no?)

Sometimes all you need on a Friday night is a starting point, and where the night/road takes you is truly up to you. While tonight started and ended on two totally different vibes, they both made for an interesting mix... and sometimes, mixing it up is what it is all about... at least for me on this Friday, and day marking the start of Spring.

1 comment:

  1. Thats Madrid all over! 8 years of going out a minimum of two nights a week and never had the same night out twice! You always meet someone different and interesting.

    ReplyDelete