Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Week into This... Am I Allowed to be Exhausted, already?






Dear Lord. After such a ferocious weekend, I was gasping for air today. I slept about half of the train ride to San Sebastian and was still not quite kicking when I got in after 1PM. I showered and went for a walk around La Concha Bay in search of pinxtos and coffee to get me started. I was starving and feeling a little timid in this new region of Spain.

The language here is something out of this world. Well, its Basque, which I have not had the mental capacity to try and understand or make sense of... at least today.

A cafe in Constitution Plaza provided me exactly what I was looking for... tres cafe con leche, pinxtos and a grilled manchego, serrano and tomato sandwich. The last was pure comfort food, and was the best sandwich ever!

The temperature in San Sebastian is a bit lower than what I experience in Barcelona, and is a good thing, offering more of contemplative mood to the day to do some writing and reading as I enjoyed my lunch in the plaza. Once I was fueled -- both physically and mentally, I took a stroll around the back side of la playa where the waves were roaring and sending bursts of water into the air and drenching my hair... not that I minded.

While its only been a week on the road, I have noticed something interesting about myself. When I am where I can see a large mass of water on an almost daily basis I am alot calmer internally than when I can't. For me, and for many I am sure, its very therapeutic. So today's walk was just what I needed to clear my head, before climbing up the mountain to the castle/statue that overlooks San Sebastian. I definitely had recollections of climbing Corcovado as I scaled the mountain, but the views here were better and the climb not so steep.

Once back on the beach I wandered around in town for a bit before heading in for a true night in. Tomorrow I plan to try out a Basque Cider House just outside of town after seeing a few more things in town and the art museum. Definitely a slower pace here, but one I am infinitely grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment