Sunday, March 15, 2009

Going Gaudi

When I woke up Thursday, I knew it was going to be a special day. The sunshine pouring in my window was too bright not to throw on my running shoes and hit the beach for a long run. It was truly fantastic, and the best way to get a sense of a few further reaching areas of Barcelona. (Below is where my run took me today)

After my run and a quick shower, I headed up Las Ramblas in search of a huge coffee and Gaudi’s park. I didn’t get very far before I was side-tracked… or better yet, someone was side-tracked by me. Spanish men have such flair, and before I realized what was happening I was being whisked to a café outside of Sant Maria del Mar for a coffee and a conversation. My new friend, Senor Jose Garcia (can you get a more typical Spanish name?) was a certified Reiki instructor and therapist, started talking astrology in the first 5 lines of conversation (which I am a sucker for) and wanted to read my palm (gets me everytime)… plus, he was digging my style -- "You are glamorous, my friend!" -- or so he said.

So an hour later, I have had my coffee and full personal reading, and dinner plans for Saturday (even in Spain, my social calendar was already full), and was finally off in search of Gaudi. (here are a few shots of his work at the Gaudi Terrace taken last night).



Getting to the park was a bit of a trek, but well worth it. There couldn’t have been a finer day to be wandering the gardens. There were jazz musicians everywhere providing a pleasant soundtrack to the afternoon, and the sun was warm without being overpowering.



After the park I went to see the famous church – Seguria Familia – which is yet to be complete. Apparently, they keep adding a year every year to its completion date… so who knows when it will be finished. The Spanish work-ethic is quite an interesting study...
Other sites of the day, included the Arc de Triomf, the city park, and a long awaited find… le Quatre Gats. The book I am reading, Shadow of the Wind, features this café prominently, and I had to go for a glass of vino.

In truth, this was my second night in search of Le Quatre Gats. And that's the thing... there is something so beautiful about setting out to find something, and then through a number of trials and errors, landing on your goal. Last night I was just too bloody tired and gave up the search. But tonight I was determined. And after charming the electronics store dealer to mapquest it, and a few more wrong turns later, I was sitting at a table at 4 cats with a glass of wine to celebrate mission accomplished! I did it.




When I return to my hotel, I realized I was starving and went in search of dinner, which I found around the corner at La Fonda. Dinner was excellent. The service? Not so much. But the timing was perfect as just as I returned the hotel, Pierre was knocking on my door wanting to share a bottle of wine while he waited for the final check-in of the night.

Pierre has become my new favorite person - -maybe because he is the only person I know in Barcelona, but still, he makes me laugh and is always inviting me places and making sure I have a plan and don’t get lost. If only I can be so lucky at all my places of lodging!



Anyway, 6 Euros later we have a bottle of tempranillo and are in “la officina” of Las Ramblas Apts waiting on the Italian couple. He is working, I am describing my day and cracking him up with stories of Jose Garcia who wanted to put his hands all over my body at an outdoor café – that’s what all Reiki instructors do, right? (just kidding!)

Anyway, the couple checks in and as we are heading out for mojitos, Pierre has a new bike to show-off. It really was an old piece of crap, but it had two wheels and a chain and got him from place to place, so it was good. Plus he had given it a fresh coat of paint.

We were in search of something “chill” (originally Pierre was looking for something “chilled”, until I clued him in that drinks are 'chilled', scenes are 'chill') and when our first choice did not happen, Pierre trying to be debonair as only the French can do, wanted to find a “B Plan”… which made me laugh. (I think he meant Plan B)

At this point it’s almost 2:30… time sure does fly here… and the place is closing, and so my story for the night must as well. But it only gets better from here…

No comments:

Post a Comment