Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Traveler's Karma

As the day has ended, and I am now in an awful inn in Bilbao that reeks of cigarettes, I keep thinking back to the past 24 hours when a group of strangers befriended me and took me to their corner of the world. They did not want money, they simply wanted a smile and to share their world with a stranger.

As my journey has unfolded, I have made offers to many to visit NYC and let me show them my world - -Pierre, London Joe, Diego and Paula the Italian couple, Luis's mother, Juan and Miguel, etc.

I think its so much simpler when you embark on the trading route in life vs. getting by on monetary means. It makes life so much more meaningful and involved.

For I know, that when I look back on this journey I have started I will remember the sites that millions of people have identical photos. But what will truly make me smile are memories of the faces that took me under their wing and made me a friend if just for a day, a night, or an hour.

I hope that at some point in the not no distance future I can bestow on them the kindness that they have extended to me throughout my journey and keep the sentiment moving forward. As we all are simply travelers in this great game of life, and the easier we can make it for another is the easier we make it for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment