Thursday, March 19, 2009

This Little Piggy Went to Market...

So today, after my fantastical evening, I got up and had an easy plan to stroll around Madrid. Its Father's Day here so everything is closed except for restaurants.

While I had my coffee and croissant, I decided since all the museums I wanted to visit were closed I would follow the Madrid "Historical Walking Tour" step-by-step. Literally. I figure I would see most of Madrid's historical venues (so it was slightly academic) and I would try and beat the 2 hour walking time suggested (making it slightly physical). Keep in mind, when traveling I usually make up my own tour/map of city... which usually leads to several retracks and stopping for directions. So my plan for the day was kind of test for future cities.

Anyway, ten minutes into the tour I have found Plaza Sol, the oldest chapel in Madrid, and have found a cafe where the guidebook suggests having the famous churros dipped in chocolate. Why not? Its lunch time, and sometimes you gotta have a little fun at meal time. Dear lord, if only I knew how decadent and intoxicating these things are. Y-u-m-m-y.

On a sugar high, I go running after a few more steeples, plazas, fountains, views and castle. Things are going well. I have the map down, I am in line to finish in less than 20 minutes, making the total time including lunch 1 hour 45. But now the guide suggests having "a proper lunch" at Cafe de Oriente, which is a beautiful plaza, so why not? Its bright and sunny and I could go for a salad and a glass of vino blanco in the sun. So that is what I do, except one glass turns into two, and I don't finish the tour as estimated, but I am enjoying the sunny day, so I keep going (with the tour, not the wine).

More sights, cool things, great statues of Don Quixote, a trip of la via Grande and back to Plaza Major, where the book is suggesting eating AGAIN. Whoever wrote this thing, do you realize NO ONE EATS EVERY 30 MINUTES? And I had skipped two spots they suggested having drinks! Basically if you follow the plan, you spend 7 hours on this tour, 5.5 eating and drinking. Makes you wonder who supported the writing of the book -- Madrid's chamber of commerce or Madrid's Restaurant and Bar association?

All kiddng aside, the tour was ideal, the suggestions for drinks and food were excellent. And while I will not be doing Walking Tour #2 tomorrow, I may revisit the guidebook for suggestions in my other Spanish destinatations. Great way to get oriented...And completely stuffed and slightly tipsy!

For a dinner, I did stick around Plaza Major for moules frites at a Belgian restaurant just off Calle de Julio 7, but this was after a few more hours of wandering aimlessly enjoying the perfect weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment