Tuesday, March 17, 2009

'Seaing' San Sebastian

My second day in San Sebastian, was much more what I was looking for... partly because I got a good night's sleep, and partly because the sun was out in full force. After a long (asthma free!) run, I showered, and went looking for a bicycle to make the most of my day.

The staff at the inn had seemed a bit clueless up until now -- not because of a language barrier, but just not really in the mood to help anyone. There was a new girl working the front desk, and she was just full of information. Not the brightest when it comes to using a wrench, I would learn later, but definitely helpful.

She gives me the key to a bike and I am off in search of coffee and a bite to eat. I ride to the end of La Concha Bay, and I am simply amazed at how beautiful the water is, the crashing waves, the contrast of the Isle Ana Christina, the statues, etc... Everything just has me on sensory overload.



There is a cafe near the water and I take my coffee outside, so I can spend some time catching up my personal journal. The sun is bright, and I feel as I could sit there all day. But I was hungry, and really wanted to go to the old part of town for lunch (all the way around the bay).


Well, that would have been easier if the bike I was given was not COMPLETELY FLAT... at least the back tire. No air, no nothing. Totally riding on metal, all the way back to the hotel. (My friend Rob would be very disappointed in me if he heard this story). It was a short distance, so I did not feel so bad, and clearly, the bike in question had seen better days.


So I go in and tell Neomi my issue, and she gives me another key to another bike. Well, this one is made for someone 6' tall, and is not going to work. Which is how I learned Neomi was not so handy with a wrench.


She pulled out a tool kit, and seemed very lost. I did not want to go total Type A on her, but I did suggest she use the silver tool in the middle. She brought it outside with her, and called herself a 'mechanic"... definitely the overstatement of the year. She was able to loosen the seat to lower it, but could not figure out how to tighten it (I guess lefty Lucy, righty Tighty only works in English). She seemed to get it halfway right, and I thanked her and went off in search of pintxos.

Also on this journey, I needed to fix my sunglasses as they had broken in Barcelona. I pull my bike up to an 'Optika' shop and lock it to the railing... just as the seat slides down to position 1 -- convenient for those that are 4' tall. Whatever... sunglasses, then lunch, then worry about the bike.

Well, timing has never been my specialty, and I look to see it is 5 past 1PM, which means everything in San Sebastian -- and most of Spain -- has closed for lunch and siesta and will reopen at 4PM. Okay, so lunch has been moved up to top priority.


(pinxtos for lunch)

I find a taberna that serves pinxtos -- not that I had to look far as EVERYWHERE in San Sebastian serves these small tapas. I made my plate and enjoyed a filling lunch of small bites from the sea.


After lunch, I found an Optika that was open, and they fixed my glasses for FREE. Now dealing with the bike... once I found it. For a while, it looked very likely I would be walking myself back to my hotel. I ended up riding back to the other side of the bay to ride the 'funicular' up to the top of the other mountain. This was the oldest train imaginable, and as we reached incline I thought it was going to give out... especially when we faced a train coming from the opposite direction.


Anyway, definitely worth the hike/ride. Amazing views of San Sebastian.




After this I enjoyed some down time by the beach reading, before sorting my luggage for an early departure in the AM, and heading to a Cider House for dinner... If only I knew then how my plans would change.


(Other photos from San Sebastian)
(View of old town, with statue of Christ in the background)

(Jesus, upclose and personal)


(trek upto the statue)


(my hotel)

(the city center)



(the old church)
PS: the photo at the top is my favorite to-date. If my job disappears at Euro, guess what everyone is getting for Christmas? =o)

3 comments: