Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Marvelous Madrid

I really enjoyed my days in Madrid. In the end, I spent almost an entire week in this terrific city. There was so much to do, to see, and the weather was incredible. Many afternoons I would find myself half-asleep in the giant park – Retiro—trying to read while the sun warmed my face. Absolutely divine. It was this sunny weather that often made being indoors at the Prado, or Reine Sofia seem like a chore…but I would get through it, get my culture-fix for the day, and then go find my place in the sun to daydream or read. My days here were quite lovely.

Knowing people here helped– Javier was my official guide, but reconnecting with Jose, meeting Sam and Matheus, plus several of Javi’s friends really added a dimension to the city and made me feel at ease. I loved spending my mornings and afternoons as I wished, and then meeting up with one of my new friends in the evening for drinks, dinner or both. All good times, and all good stories to share which I will detail shortly.

Cultural highlights of Madrid include the Palace, Thyssen museum, the Prado, and the many cathedrals throughout the city. Retiro Park was my favorite place to get lost in. Plaza Major was perfect for drinks at dusk, and Plaza Sant Ana was my favorite spot for night-time fun. I loved El Rastro Mercado on Sunday morning. I could have done without seeing a bullfight (I am still kind of pissed off I wasn’t clued into what I was going to witness). Dinners on Cava Braja were amazing, as was shoe shopping on Calle Auguste Figeroa.

Madrilenos are a quirky bunch, but I have always been drawn to quirkiness. I loved being a part of their city for almost a week, and I look forward to the day I return.

1 comment:

  1. The use of "pissed off" is so unlike you! It must not have been good at all. What did you witness?

    ReplyDelete