Sunday, March 29, 2009

Mapmaker, mapmaker, make me a map...

The maps being handed out in these small Spanish towns leave alot to be desired. Yesterday, I had 10 sites I wanted to see around central Granada and marked them all on a map from the inn.

As I made my way around, nothing seemed to come readily or easily. Calle Cadil was never found. So therefore neither was cathedral Sant Nicolas. And the stairs I was supposed to be going down, I was going up. And the guidebook said to beware of gypsies in certain areas but I had no clue if I was in said area. And the terrific views I was supposed to see of the Alhambre were really not that terrific. I could go on and on, but needless to say my little self-guided tour of Granada was NOT going as planned as nothing I hoped to see was actually being seen.

So, to aid my mental struggle for not being the next Amerigo Vespucci I decided to attend a Flamenco show where in the end of the trip you end up in the Abyzine with stunning views of the 15th century building.

The show was entertaining, even if I was the youngest member of the group(by about 15 years) and I met the most adorable German couple with whom I shared a Paella.

Low and behold, at the end of the show I quickly got the self-guided tour I was looking for in the afternoon. Who cares if I only understood 50% of what was being said, I knew what was supposed to happen/have happened at such places.... I just couldn't find them! Sometimes a night with the "oldies but goldies" is worth it, if it means getting your bearings and learning to laugh at yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment