Tuesday, March 10, 2009

"I think I'm gonna like it here..."

As my first day in Barcelona comes to a halt before dinner and evening affairs, I feel like Annie from my favorite musical/movie as a child when she is invited to move in with Daddy Warbuck's..."I think I'm gonna like it here... I'm very, very glad to volunteer..."

Its been a great day, minus a bit of confusion with the hotel staff on check-in.

Finding my apartment was easy. Its right on Las Ramblas, with a cafe downstairs for outdoor seating. I had to wait two hours before I could check in, and I enjoyed the crisp blue skies and brisk air of this Tuesday morning. (Did I mention Tuesday is my favorite day of the week?)



At 10AM promptly, I was at Las Ramblas, 36 and ready to check in. However, no one was answering the door. When I finally got an answer, I squeezed myself into the smallest elevator I have ever seen -- seriously, I had to turn sideways, and practically stand on my suitcase.

Upstairs, I met two Canadians and a fellow American, all trying to check in, all being told that Pierre was running late. We had no clue who Pierre was, but we were all a bit irritated. They had taken the bus from Madrid, I had taken a plane from NYC. We had all been traveling over night and were looking for shower and wash-up options STAT.

Somehow the maid seemed to know who I was, and after a quick phone conversation with "la officina" I was able to get the keys to my room. My room was fine, minus the fact that it was FREEZING. I needed a quick nap and quick shower and would worry about the temperature later.

Just as I drifted off to sleep, the mysterious Pierre was knocking on my door. "Hello, Paige? Paige, are you there?" As I answer, this tall French guy with scabs all over his face was standing at the door asking for my passport. Not the most pleasant vision to see upon waking up. Or for someone to be asking for your passport. He seemed really distraught and without warning launched into a long-winded tale of how his bike was stolen which is why he was late for work. I asked if that was what his scrapes were from, and was quickly told that he didn't fight for his bike, it was stolen without warning and the scrapes on his face were from a deep sunburn from skiing in Andorra and his lip was busted while dancing at a club over the weekend. Glad I asked.

Anyway, he proceeds to show me how to use the heater...in a very kindergarten like fashion. "See the sun symbol?...That makes things warmer... The snowman, that makes it cooler." (I found out later he was a kindergarten teacher for a while, among his many jobs since graduating from business school.)


Once the temperature was squared away, he suggested I change rooms to get a better view of Las Ramblas. So now I am in a room drenched with light...which I love.




Pierre was very chatty, and helped me figure out my plan for today -- wander up Las Ramblas, stop in the large market, visit the Picasso Museum, see some of the old buildings in the center city, the Gaudi church, etc. etc. Which I did. It was a beautiful day to spend wandering the streets of this great city.

When I returned from site seeing, my new friend was at my door wanting to see if I wanted to go out this evening with some friends. Why not? I have five days to take it all in and hanging out with locals seems a good way to go about it.

Buenas Noches! I am off in search of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment