Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Daily Inspiration

Yesterday evening when I walked in, this is what awaited me outside my window:



A gorgeous evening view of Las Ramblas. Knowing that I had work to do today and tonight, this view inspired a trip to St. Jofep Boqueria for ingredients for a picnic meal in my little flat, to take in the view and enjoy a night in -- as something tells me this will be few and far between in the next three months.

Right after I made this decision, Pierre showed up at my door. Just the site of him made me laugh. He of course had another sob-story for me, starting with, "I didn't just lose my bike today... (well, what else...) I lost my flat-mate!" And another long story flowed out of him describing his flatmates girlfriend that was whisking him off to Madrid to live. He is really quite animated and very puppet-like the way he uses his hands and legs to tell stories. It just makes me laugh.


Anyway, my picnic inspiration led me to navigating the market today, which was no easy feat. My Spanish is atrocious -- as is my gifts with other languages -- and the market is so crowded and bustling. But I did it! Fresh fruit, manchego and a goat's cheese, and cured 'jamon' and a bottle of rioja... that is what made tonight's menu.



I remember a few years ago eating like this once or twice a week -- more snacking than a proper meal. Which is honestly what I prefer for the week nights. After work and class its so late, I never wanted something heavy and this was perfect. Something to consider when I return to my more stable life in NYC!

Today was another afternoon of site-seeing and getting lost, which has happened quite often, but I am able to figure myself out. I started the day with a run down Las Ramblas and Barceloneta. I am in such denial of my allergy induced asthma. Everytime I run it comes up...so frustrating. But I still plan to run the marathon soon. Maybe even this year, if I am not totally out of shape by the time I return to NYC. But that's for consideration after I return. Until then, anything is up for grabs. Including this last slice of pear... yum!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Paige! Everything sounds so wonderful! I forgot to start reading earlier, but I am all caught up now and plan to stay updated! It sounds like you are on the right path. Sort of reminds me of a book I once read "Eat, Pray, Love" a similar journey in a sense. I hope you find that inner peace and joy of being on this long awaited soul-refreshing trip. I am always inspired by reading pieces of people's hearts, and I'm sure we'll get a peek into yours throughout this journey. I know you will have a blast and soak it all in. I can't wait to read more and see more pictures.
    Much love,
    Deska

    ReplyDelete