Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Saturday Slowdown

When I got up on Saturday, I was feeling a little run down. Maybe it was from being out late the night before. Maybe it was just being tired. But whatever it was, I woke up feeling like I needed a siesta and the feeling never quite left as the day progressed. I felt weary and a little somber, and the reason for my feelings I could not begin to tell you.

I went to the Prado, which is huge and quite an undertaking. It truly was torture being inside knowing it was 24 degrees Celcius outside. I got my map, and planned to be very efficient with my time, seeing mainly the masterpieces (there were at least a 100 on the guide), and a few others I had my eye on. Even with trying to be speedy, my visit lasted 3 hours, and then I was really exhausted and in need of a coffee, which I found.

My morning runs had told me the park was nearby, and I went to the pond by the statue of lions and found a place in the sun to spend my afternoon. I had my book, I had my journal, I had a few people to catch up with from home, I had an afternoon plan.

I dozed off for about an hour, read some, talked some, and got a few thoughts down in my journal until Jose called to make plans for that evening. He was in desperate need of some “summerly clothes” he said and wanted to know if I would come with.

At this point the sun was setting – it was nearly 6 –so I agreed to meet him. Also, at this point my phone dies, sending the next 2 hours into a bubble of chaos. Needless to say, I did not make it to said shopping area as I was a bit lost. But I did get to see sunset on the Real Palace and the Theater, plus about 6 brides in the park (seriously, I had flash backs to being in Copenhagen on 7/07/07 and the line of couples waiting to get married in every church I passed during the day). I guess the first Saturday of Spring was primetime in Madrid.

Anyway, I get back to my hotel and get in touch with Jose, who has new clothes and will be at my place in an hour. Tonight was going to be interesting… no doubt about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment