Thursday, May 14, 2009

Bambinos


Being in Spain, you can’t help but be around the Spanish youngsters. The parents bring them out at night like they are the latest style. It seems no one understands the concept of baby-sitter here. And that’s fine… if I am not at your restaurant, bar or club, or God forbid, a plane.

I think its awesome to give children exposure to adult environments. That said, I don’t feel children should dominate adult environments in any way. The Spanish think differently...very differently.

When I sit down to a 10PM dinner. Chances are the place is flooded with kids. The same true for a bar, and while it has not happened in a club (yet!), I do see it happening.

On the plane from Tenerife today the kids were OUT OF CONTROL. Yelling, screaming, running up and down the aisles… and the parents did NOTHING. At one point I woke up from my nap wondering where the hell I was. There were about 10 kids (no joke) screaming out at their fancy. Parents had NO CONTROL and were not looking to find any. When we landed, they just let their kids run up and down the aisles creating quite a ruckus, keeping all the single people from exiting. Dearie me.

Unfortunately, you don’t have to be fluent in Spanish to understand this frustration. Kids – unfortunately – scream in the same language. Except in Spain they are taught to scream louder. And doubly unfortunate, they were sitting in the seat behind me... and in front.

No comments:

Post a Comment