Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Italian Road Trip

When I left Bologna, I was headed to Roma on another disgusting Italian train. From the central station in Rome I guessed my way onto another train headed to the airport, and faked losing a ticket when the conductor came to collect, and had to purchase one on the train. 12 Euros?! God, this place is expensive. I found Sandra at the rental car place, and after figuring out the language on our GPS, our girls weekend was officially underway!

Sandra and I have an unspoken rule that when in foreign countries I do the driving, and when in the States she takes the wheel. Why exactly, I am not sure. Maybe because of the two of us, I am the only one that can drive a stick-shift, which is usually what we find abroad. This time, in Italy, we had requested an automatic so she could enjoy driving through Tuscany, but no such luck. I think the only place that has what Americans all 'automatics' is America. What we got was some sort of hybrid that I was even struggling to figure out!

Driving in Italy is definitely the best way to go. Most towns take less than a day to see (if that), and most are the perfect size to stop for lunch wander around and then be on the way. Our first stop after the airport, was the tiny town of i Saturi. It was large enough to have five eating options, and we chose one in the square where we had a lunch of ravioli and chicken francese.

Italy is a place where you want to travel with someone...especially when it comes to dining out. In Spain, you can always find tapas, so you can have several small plates to constitute a meal for one. In Italy you only have big plates, and usually you want to try different things so its best when you have someone to share.

From Saturi we made our way into Tuscany, to Arcidosso where we were staying for three days to learn to cook like they do in this region. Sandra had made the request for her birthday, and I was happy to oblige. I was more than happy to have someone telling me what to do for a few days. After a month of doing it on my own and purely Paige, I wouldn't mind having someone else take the wheel.

No comments:

Post a Comment