Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A River Runs Through It

When I woke in Verona, I was ready for a long run, and having discovered the river last night I knew just where I was headed.

In all of these old Italian (and Spanish) towns, it makes sense that a river would flow through the old city center, as a water way was what most likely led to the city being created in the first place. I just had not thought much about it before.

As I ran beside the river in Verona, and I glimpsed the ruins to my right the cathedral in front of me and the old town just beyond that I had to laugh as it was clear that not much had changed since the 14th century. And that’s truly what made these little towns what they were and are. Somethings simply are better when left unchanged. Maybe I was finding some appreciation for Italy after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment