Thursday, May 14, 2009

A Warm Southern Welcome

When I landed in Seville from Tenerife, I could not wait to get off the plane. The cute, elderly lady I sat next to was not the best smelling and I was ready to take in the citrus smelling streets of this southern town.

As I deboarded, it hit me that I really was clueless about my ride from the airport to Triana (Seville’s Brooklyn). When I left a night of silliness, Eline and Miguel’s friend Antonio said he would pick me up. And although it was a night of drunken and disorderly conduct (just kidding!) he was still set to pick me up, or at least according to a message I had from Eline while I was away. I was a little concerned about the logistics of this plan, as Antonio drives a motorcycle. And despite my desperate attempts to limit my luggage, I was still maxing capacity of every flight I took.

I did not have a phone number for Antonio. And for some reason I wasn’t anxious as I often can be when faced with uncertainty. I knew something would happen and I would find my friends – either via Antonio or a taxi. I got my bags at baggage claim and walked through security and ta-da, Antonio is waiting. See, no need to worry!

After the past five days with “Flower Power” (my new nickname for Jose) Antonio was a godsend. A guy who is on time, dressed to impress, and just nice, with a terrific smile to boot!

Its funny, but as we walked to the car, I could not remember the last time a guy (or anyone other than my family) had picked me up at the airport – and was on time and allowed me to leave anxiety on the plane. Jose had been late and was frazzled and disorganized as usual. Prior to this, most travel for me ended in NYC and I would find my own way home in a taxi. This was a welcome treat. So many things I love about Spain!

When we walked to the car, Antonio commented that the Canaries did not seem to take away my smile. I think its being back in Seville that has added an extra dimple to my grin and a spring in my step. I just love this little place. I love the people. And I was really looking forward to more fun times ahead. Something told me I would not have to wait long.

No comments:

Post a Comment