Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Tale of Two Professors

When I went to dinner in Verona, I was interested in the northern Italian menu. A lot of what was offered was very different than what I had ever tried before -- not just in Italy, but in the world. Specifically, the menu offered horse meat or donkey meat. I was to choose one. I went with horse, although the idea was slightly unsettling.

My meal was fine. Nothing spectacular. As I was finishing, the two elderly men beside me wanted to chat. It turns out they were both professors at the university, one was a lecturer on art history and theory, the other an actual artist. They invited me to a glass of wine and then after for more wine on the patio of one of their apartments. They seemed harmless, and while I don’t usually make a habit of wandering home with strange men, I felt safe so why not?

When we got to the apartment, I could not believe the view of the river. For some reason I had missed the river entirely on my journey that afternoon, so this was for sure a welcomed treat. We had champagne, and peanuts FROM GEORGIA. I had to laugh and think of my stepdad as I opened shell after shell.

Our conversation was lively and I was glad I was there. After an hour or so, I needed to head back to my hotel and they offered to walk me which I accepted. Maybe they do know something about hospitality around here after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment