Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Delta Dilemma

Deciding to return to Sevilla for Feria meant one thing (other than the fact that I would be wearing that fabulous dress): my trip needed to be extended. For so long I had been obsessed with a day-long festival in New York, The Barrow Street Festival, and while it truly is a fun time, this year was about new experiences and focusing my time here. So, even though my current flight plan had me returning to NYC for the festival, my desire to attend and get back to NYC in early May had dissipated.

So, like any good SkyMiles member I was on the phone with Delta in a flash hoping they could aid my iteneriary needs. I should have known this was not going to be so easy.

I told the kind man on the phone what I wanted to do, basically move my flight back a week and return to NYC on the 21st instead of the 14th, and he told me that would cost $2800. Was he serious? I paid NOTHING for my ticket, so to change it was going to cost $3K?

A lot of words of disagreement followed his statement, and many questions to justify this cost. In the end, I had to find another way to get back to the states.

He was able to get me to Atlanta on the 20th, which could work, and then I could get back to NYC on the 30th after some time in Florida with my mom and dear friend, Sue. For no charge. I took him up on the offer.

I was finding it interesting that I had less and less desire to return to NYC. When I left, I was very much looking forward to the day I would return, and now, I had little interest in what the big Apple could offer me. There wasn’t much there that I wanted to return to…today, or maybe ever. Definitely a thought for future pondering, but for now, I have a new country to see…best to get going on that. I can worry about New York later.

No comments:

Post a Comment