Saturday, April 11, 2009

Road Rules

Just like in life, there are no definite rules for the road. In both, its all about figuring out the rules and learning as you go, making your own map, and hoping that following it will lead to a life well lived or smoother travels.

As I have learned in my travel to Tenerife, accepting an invitation to visit Spanish Paradise, doesn’t mean that I will feel like I am in paradise every minute I am there. Renting a car doesn’t mean that driving it will be easy. And having a map will not necessarily make the journey any easier, as I discovered on my solo journey to Aeropuerto de Norte from Caletillas.

Jose had clients this morning, which I was secretly super-excited about as it meant a few things.
1) He would not want to go out late last night.
2) He would not once again try to sleepover. (I have heard every possible excuse at this point)
3) I would have the morning to myself.


The only potential negative was that I may have some trouble getting to the airport alone. But I figured I had a map, I knew how to drive, I knew how to read, so what could be difficult?

Well, as you can probably guess this trip was not ‘easy as pie’. There was road work, and some how I ended up in downtown Santa Cruz extremely frustrated and worried I would miss my flight. I had already turned around twice, been near the university and almost back to Caletillas, and I wasn’t so worried as the island is only 60km wide so I had to be at least close. But I was anxious, and the last thing I wanted to do was call Jose. Something told me he would not be too helpful in this situation. But nothing I seemed to be doing was working so I gave him a call, but his phone was off (glad I was not in real danger, buddy…but I guess its really not his responsibility)

As soon as I had hung up the phone, BAM! A gas station. Me and my trusty map are out of the car in a flash, and through a version of sign language I learn that I go straight and then I should see a BIG SIGN “AEROPUERTO de NORTE”… or so she said. I was still on edge -- as most people would be alone in a foreign country, in a rental car and trying to make a flight.

I went straight and then was one of these crazy round-a-bouts which always confuse the hell out of me. When do I go? When does the other person? Which lane should I be in? Etc. Etc.

Somehow after this curvaceous adventure I look up and see BIG SIGN for AEROPUERTO DE NORTE. Yes! (high five!) Thank you God.

Returning the car was a cinch. Checking in was even easier. And when I made it through security (sans my fortune in Canarian cheese) I found a café with GINORMOUS coffees. The largest I have ever seen in Europe. Excellent.

The travel gods were in my favor today and I did get the rules right. Thankfully. The more I travel the more rules on life I write for myself…and burn a few others. Maybe its not so much about making rules, but knowing when its time to retire the life rules we create for ourselves. I know the next match I strike will be to burn a few of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment