Saturday, April 11, 2009

Changes in Lattitude, Changes in Attitude

I do find it interesting, the lower the latitude I seek, the more I feel at home. When in the north of Spain, I ran into more “cold” feeling people (at least cold for this hot blooded country). A little more aloof, a little more stand – offish, a little, well, cold. It was in their eyes, their demeanor and their words.

The further south I venture, the more my personal latitude seems to fit in. Its much more casual, friendly, easy-going, and real. None of this pretentious crap I have become used to from my days in NYC.

The accents in the south are a little more like I knew growing up, except the words are Spanish. The dress more casual. The food more fried. The lifestyle more relaxed and laissez-faire.

People have jobs, but only so they can have a life. They like what they do, and most work for themselves so their hours are determined by sunrise and sunset. They take siestas, enjoy preparing meals, and relax.

Southerners seem to know how to breathe. I sense it when I am at my parent's home in Georgia. I sense it in sweet little Ponte Vedra. I sense it everywhere I choose to go but NYC.

People in New York don't want to take time to breathe. They never seem to comtemplate life outside themselves and their jobs. They are glued to cell-phones and blackberries. There, "things" are more important than people. But right now, why should I care? I am not there for the next six weeks. And until then I am going to breathe in and out in slow melodious breaths and let the relaxing southern vibe find me. Now until the day I leave…

But I won't lie, bets are already being made that this Southern Belle is bound for southern existence again, this time on the opposite side of the ocean!

No comments:

Post a Comment