Saturday, April 11, 2009

A New Version of Southern Hospitality


While I tried to mentally prepare for meeting Jose in the Canaries, I truly had no idea what to prepare for as Jose is a wild card. I knew I had my own place to stay. (thank goodness) I knew he did not drive. (I was renting a car) And the Canaries are one of the most beautiful places on earth. (I was counting on it). I knew Jose was working some of the time, but I have also learned that the Spanish idea of “work” is more of an idea than reality, so I was not sure how much time I had to myself and I could really use some 'Paige time'. Nothing against my new friend, but when you need time to yourself, you need it.

There were a few nuances that could have been tweaked upon as I began to get a more clear idea of how life in the Canaries worked. Or should I say, how my life in the Canaries was going to work? I realize more so now, than at any other point in my travels so far, its very important for people to tell you precisely who they are and if they are not speaking clearly, its okay for you to figure it out for them. Here are a few situations I had to deal with during the first 3 hours in Tenerife.

Situation #1: When someone says they don’t drive, I assume they don’t own a car. NOT that they are 39 and don’t know how to operate 4-wheels and a steering wheel. Jose represented the latter, making me a bit uneasy.

Situation #2: When someone is from a place – lived there most of their lifetime – I expect them to know their way around. Not me figuring it for the both of us.

Situation #3: When a female tells you repeatedly they are not interested in you beyond friendly CONVERSATION, that is simply it. Don’t try and be God, and attempt to change her mind. Its simply a waste. Especially if its me you are dealing with.

Needless to say the early moments of getting to the Canaries were a bit awkward. I was ready to kill Jose with his lack of driving skills, his lack of direction or foresight, and if he tried to kiss me ONE MORE TIME, I swear, I was not going to be only one sounding like a female. I don’t care if he is twice my size, I could take him.

When we got to my apt over looking the sea, I was willing to forgive a lot. When the car deficiencies were behind us and we could get to the little town by the sea for a drink and a bite to eat, I was getting back to my previously relaxed state. We had an enjoyable dinner. Half with him treating me like a patient, half with him selling me on his qualities as a person, and man. He was droning, and exhausting me … and I could care less about his multiple qualities that women 10 YEARS AGO found attractive… I was more concerned with the present, and how quickly we could wrap up this little soiree so I could be off to dreamland and he could be on the bus bound for Santa Cruz.

Unfortunately with Jose nothing is short-winded or brief. He is very expressive and one of those types to repeat things a trillion times to bring emphasis. This is super-annoying to me, as I listen. I don’t need to hear things over and over. I am a quick study. Say it once. I got it. The rest is just wasted breath.

I landed at 5:30PM. We sat down to dinner at 8PM. It was now 11:30PM. I was tired. I did not want to hear anymore about Reiki or the esoteric tradition or how he used to be a womanizer in his custom-made Italian suites. Good for you, Cabrellero, now can we go?

Seriously, this for 4 more days? I pray he has an American work ethic.

No comments:

Post a Comment