Friday, June 12, 2009

Who turned out the lights?

After getting to Rome – barely, as some drunk idiot boarded the train without a ticket causing all kinds of hoopla and delays – I was delighted the rain had slowed, and a taxi was waiting to take me to my Bed & Breakfast.

I had found this place through Assun in Madrid, and it came highly recommended. The B&B had a last minute room available, and I was set. Truly, the place was delightful, airy and homey…the last being very much on the top of my list.

I met Laura the innkeeper and inquired about dinner options as it was 10PM and I had not eaten since lunch. She recommended several places a few blocks away and I set off.

Or so I thought… once I rounded the corner and was on a side street there were no lights! Utter darkness! Not even a street light. I felt a little panicky but knew that it had to be safe or she would not have sent me. Sure enough, I found the pizza place Laura had directed me to. However the idea of wandering back alone and in an increasingly darkening street… well, my hunger could wait til morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment