Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sevillian Date Night

After Azil's debut, I needed a siesta, which I took while Saber closed the shop.

While I waited at the cafe, Saber showered and got ready, for what, I wasn't entirely sure. I never know plans in Sevilla. I never really feel compelled to make many. I just let life happen.

When Saber emerged, he had the helmets, which meant we were taking the bike. He approached, "We go?" He said we were heading to the place in Triana, that is known for barbeque quail. He had told me about this place last week, saying it was the place "to eat birds". This sounded odd to me, although of course we eat 'birds' in America -- chicken or turkey. But the way he was saying it had me baffled, so I did my research and discovered the 'small birds' Saber was talking about were actually quail. Which I was fine with.

I am not opposed to trying new things (I ate horse meat in Verona and Octopus with tentacles still attached in Canaria.), but I do like to know what I am getting into. I could definitely handle tonights menu. Although when Saber told me he had a surprise after dinner, I had to admit I was curious...more so than knowing what 'small birds' were on the menu.


The quail place was typical Sevillian. We ordered at the bar, and then gathered around tables in the courtyard, pulling the meat off the delicate bones. The birds were very tasty, and after two each we moved indoors as the temperature had dropped with the setting sun.


We ate caracoles and then decided to move on. Where, I wasn't sure, as Saber had said it was a surprise. We rode on the bike a few kms, and then on the street that runs along the river in Triana, he stopped the bike and said we were here. Seriously? All I saw was a police station. He covered my eyes, and led me down a long row of steps. This was a little anerving as I typically don't do surprises. (I like to find out about them and then act surprised.)

We seemed to get to the bottom, and Saber kept moving me forward and then removed his hand. "Surprise".

Before me was a view of the Torre de Oro, the Cathedral, the Giralda, all glowing brightly and shining on the river. Saber had found this place over the weekend while I was in Italy, and had wished he had the chance to show me such a sight. Funny, how life works out.

We ordered drinks and sat by the river and chatted the night away.


One of the ladies in the bar wanted to serenade us, which made for an interesting soundtrack to the evening.

It was a lovely, little evening. And I knew somehow, someway, I had to find my way back here once May had passed and I had returned to American soil. Life is too short to not feel this magnificent everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment