Friday, June 12, 2009

Racing Against Time

As the bus from Rota rolled into Sevilla, I wasn't sure what I would do if Saber wasn't there. I had his number so I could call him, but being Miss Independent I needed a plan B. I got my bags from beneath the bus and wandered through the station. Just as I was emerging, I saw Saber's curly hair coming around the corner, motorcycle helmet in tow. I guess he had not heeded Miguel's warning that I don't pack light.

Now about this whole 'packing light' bit. Can I just say I am traveling for 10 weeks, and all my stuff fits into an airplane carry-on approved size bag. This isn't such a heavy load -- especially given the length of my trip!

Anyway, back to Saber...

We figured out the logistical improbability of taking my bag plus the two of us on the bike, so we hailed a cab, through my bag inside (and me too!) and we followed Saber on his bike through the curving streets of Barrio de Santa Cruz. At his place, we threw my bags down and were out the door. We were on a mission! I had to find a blackberry battery asap, as I was leaving for Italy manana. It was 8PM, and most stores closed at 10. We zipped down Calle de Sierpes stopping in every phone and electronic shop we could find. Saber handled the conversation, and at a certain point I would dramatically remove the "blackberry that was in need of battery" from my purse and show it to the sales person. After several shops, I started to feel a bit like Vanna White! Unfortunately, no one had what we were looking for and we were told the only place left to try was El Corte Ingles.

As we wandered through the twisted streets of Sevilla, Saber asked for directions about fifty times, from fifty different people. Why can't all men do this?! We soon see the beaming green lights and we are in the door and climbing the steps to the electronic section. There is a bit of a wait, and this was the first and only time I saw this Sevillian get a bit anxious. He was running his hands through his hair, shifting his weight from one foot to the next, etc. etc. I hated this seemed to be stressing him, but I did like that he had taken my issue on as his own.

Speaking of issues, I had begun to ponder what exactly I was going to do if we did not find a battery tonight. Do I head to Rome in the morning sans a working phone? When the salesman told us he didn't have it, BUT if he rushed we might be able to make it to the other store, we were dashing out the door and running through the streets. Saber asked for directions about a million more times, and through the doors and up the stairs, and alas they did not have it either. It was 10PM, no stores were open now, so we did what they do best in this lovely place, we hit the bar.

A rioja and cerveza later, we are both calmer versions of ourselves than we were 20 minutes before. We were past our franctic state and we are coming up with a new plan to handle the phone issue. We both agree that its probably not wise for me to go to Italy without a phone given the frustration I found in that country before. So maybe I should postpone my departure one day so that we could sort the phone out tomorrow, and it would also give me one final day to be in Sevilla (my favorite part of this plan!). I had my laptop with us, so we needed to find a "wi-fi" cafe so I could change my flight (again). Since I had yet to book my room, this plan was easily sorted.

At the wifi cafe, we had two more drinks while I show Saber my blog. He originally came to Granada from Morocco and I wanted to show him my loveletter to that enchanting city. As it turns out Saber is writer as well, and has been working on something detailing his experiences in Spain and Belgium. Our commonalities were endless.

From here we venture outdoors to Plaza San Francisco for another drink, and realizing the time (11:45PM), we realize that our dinner options are down to nothing if we don't hurry. Bars stay open to the wee hours, but food service ends at midnight.

As we look around, NOTHING is serving. So we head back to Saber's hood to see if Jonata is still serving. That is our last hope. As we walk in, Jonata and Rosia are stacking chairs, and I feel its rude if we ask them to stay open. Saber does not, and Jonata doesn't mind. Within minutes we have new drinks, a plate of gambas (shrimp) and a bowl of salmorijo (my favorite!). Jonata is still preparing stuff but we dig in. We are starving!

Jonata did not try and rush us out, but instead offered us more drinks and helped himself to a cerveza as well. His English was along the lines of my Spanish, so Saber translated.

The area of both the restaurant and Saber's shop is flooded with tourists throughout the day, and Jonata often wants to speak to those who are obviously American but he often lacked the vocabulary. I offered him a few new phrases to get my fellow countrymen in the door. (I felt very honored when the next day Saber would tell me that he heard Jonata practicing these phrases.)

After English lessons, and full tummies, we decide to walk around el Barrio as it was such a nice night. Most things seemed to be closed at this point, and it felt like we had the city to ourselves.

We stopped in a plaza that was filled with citrus trees and a small fountain, Saber tells me to stay put as he wants to take a picture. Somehow this plan backfired as my sandal got twisted in the cobbled streets and down I went.

Yep, its time to put this little American to bed.

Buenas noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment