Friday, June 12, 2009

Hustlers!

As I returned from a jaunt to Triana, and returned to Jonata's shop to pay for my cafe from earlier, an elderly man with white hair is there and upon learning I am American, immediately launches into a speech that I am sure he has given many times before. "I am Joseph, originally from Malta, but I have been here in Sevilla for 22 years. I just love this place, don't you? If you ever need a place to stay -- short or long term -- I have 8 different apartments that I rent out. Let me know if you are interested."

Of course I was interested, and I am sure that Jonata had told him that Saber's friend wanted to move to Sevilla. Anyway, Joseph had several apartments he could show me in the neighborhood, so we went off together. Best do my research now while I have the chance!

Joseph showed me three different places: a three bedroom, a studio and a one bedroom. And all could be mine if the price was right! I thanked him and went off to find Saber, I had a feeling he may be looking for me.

Right I was. When I told him about my encounter with Joseph, he immediately starts saying "hustlers" under his breath. Something told me there was bad blood between these two, but I wasn't going to ask. It didn't take two minutes for Saber to launch into his story of how Joseph had tried to "art direct" Saber's shop the night he was setting thing up. This, of course, did not go over very well with Saber, and despite them being neighbors, they were not very neighborly. The fact that Joseph had wisked me away in hopes of renting me an apartment did not go over well with Saber. And I guess I don't blame him.

But it was time for lunch, we could deal with the hustler later.

No comments:

Post a Comment