Friday, June 12, 2009

SPOTTED.

A day before I left to return to Sevilla, I was laying on the beach when something washed up I wasn't wanting to deal with. AMERICANS!

Eline & Miguel had told me there was a US Naval base in Rota, but we had not had too many Americans cross our path -- except me, of course.

Today was a different story.

Now that I am honorary Spanish, I sunbathe like most Spanish. I hide in the dunes to elude the wind and to allow the best sunning opportunities. On this bright and sunny day, I am tuned into my ipod, writing furiously in my journal, when I hear a rustling in the bushes and a male voice, say, "Dude, I think she's over here." (Note, that was not a translation, he spoke in English.)

I immediately snapped out of my reverie, rolled over to face my intruders.

Some short guy is like, "Hey, are you Paige?" (How did they know my name??!!)

I told him yes, and another was like, "We've been looking everywhere for you for two days!"

Really? How do they know me, and why would they look for someone for two days??!!

At first I got worried that something might have happened at home, but then I remembered that the last time my passport was scanned was in Rome so the US government had no clue where to look. This whole situation seems extremely fishy.

The story comes out that they had met me at Feria two nights ago -- I had a faint recollection -- and I had told them that I like to go to the beach but laying in the dunes is how the Spanish do it. So they had been scouring the dunes for two days trying to find me. (American men are such retards. Don't they think if I wanted to see them I would have given them a number vs. making them go on a wild goose chase?!)

Anyway, they had no respect for me and my sun time ALONE, and proceeded to pull up a pile of sand to have a chat. Lord, the things I get myself into. Didn't they get that I wasn't interested? I still had one headphone in! They stayed put for almost 1/2 an hour and even wrote down their email addresses...Seriously?!

As soon as they left, the next most obnoxious thing happened... another dude came around the corner and asked if I was 'Paige'. (Seriously, how do all these people know me!) It seems the three amigos from before had asked him if he had seen me... and they had a photo!

Omigod. I was praying time moved at a snails pace. No way was I looking forward to having deal daily with such bizarre behavior on an ongoing basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment