Monday, June 15, 2009

Everyone Has a Story of Love Gone Wrong

Today's lunch was going to be spent with Saber's Moroccan friend, Salima, who is stunningly gorgeous. I could see Saber being interested in her after I left Sevilla. They were both Moroccan, and she really was stunning. However, this thought would be rethought as the day progressed.

We had drinks and tapas at Las Columnas, and then the three of us (Saber, Salima and I) went back to Jonata's for another drink, and after a cerveza Saber leaves us to 'girl talk' while he takes a siesta. This is when Salima told me she was married. My jaw totally dropped! Married? Apparently, she met a guy in Rabat, her home town, two years ago who was Spanish, and they dated long distance for a year. He wanted her to come to Spain, but for that to happen, he needed to marry her, so he did. Since their wedding day, he has treated her horribly, not giving her money for clothing or toiletries when she did not have a job. (The unemployment rate in Spain is 20%.) He was a lawyer and was gone most of the day, but expected her to be home should he come home for lunch, and he expected to make dinner every night. Salima had not made too many friends in Spain, so she was alone most of the time.

I was so saddened by her story! I wanted to befriend this girl, and told her to come out with us that night. She said she couldn't and needed to be going to get home to make dinner for her jerk of a boyfriend. (she preferred calling him a boyfriend vs. a husband) We exchanged numbers and I told her to call me if she changed her mind about joining us. I guess even in this lovely little place, men could be idiots too.

I was sad for Salima. I had shared my story of a broken engagement with her, and she said she was jealous that I had gotten out of a bad relationship. In comparison to her situation, I was kind of jealous of my situation too.

Throughout my travels, I seemed everyone had a break-up story or a bad relationship story.

  • In Barcelona, Maria was divorcing her husband of 7 years and was worried about her little girl.
  • In Madrid, Jose told me of how he treated his ex-fiance poorly and she broke up with him, taking the house, car and everything. (good for her!)
  • In Rota, I had learned the details of Eline's break-up with her husband of ten years.
  • In Granada, Karlyn had shared her story of breaking up with her ex.
  • In Venice, Stephanie had shared her story of her ex.
  • In Tuscany, Romeo told Sandra and I the sorted details of his father's break-up with his mother, and dealing with his new step-mother, Pascal.
  • In Verona, Giuseppe was trying to set up his friend GianCarlo, who was recently divorced.
  • And in Sevilla, I had heard break-up stories from Saber, Joseph, and now Salima.

Everyone seems to have a sad tale of love gone bad. I was nice to know that other people were in my shoes, and I hoped for each tale of failed romance there was a happy tale of love waiting for everyone...myself included.

No comments:

Post a Comment