Saturday, June 13, 2009

Coasting through Capri

The next morning I got up, had a cup of tea in the lobby and checked out before 8AM so I could get to the town and get the ferry to Capri. I wasn't feeling the best, and if there was time before the shuttle, I hoped to stop in the pharmacy for some medicine to shake my stuffiness.

I found the ferry hut, bought my ticket and deposited my bags. I climbed the hill to the pharmacy, and was surprised when I was given open reign on what was available -- over the counter or prescription. Italy wasn't so bad afterall!

When I returned to the shuttle, the boat was waiting on me, and once aboard we were bound for Capri. The group on board was an eclectic mix for sure. We had the 6 token American tourists, complete with Disney world hats and American baseball t-shirts. We had two elderly English couples, one man with bad knees and the other man with a bad back. An Italian couple with child and the grandparents. And me, by far the youngest member of this clan.


Pulling away from Positano was a site to see. It truly was a magnificent village. Beautiful from afar, for sure. It just hadn't been for me. I was excited to be leaving its shore, there had been nothing else for me there except a few photographs and a lovely day at the beach.

The drive to Capri was manificent as well. The water was that deep aqua associated with the Mediterranean, and the surrounding cliffs were all untouched wonders.

Approaching Capri, we took in Tiberius's home on the hill, the lovely modern homes that had been added near by, and then went in search of the Blue Grotto.

Finding the sites in Italy uninspiring. Basically you listen for the loudest rumbling of English voices, or the most crowded place you can find and you wander there. Sites are not sacred or secret here. And even if its one of the most world reknowned, you do feel a bit like the idiot who pays $10 at the circus to see the man with two heads.
(See this small hole? Our boat fit through that)

The Blue Grotto was an experience, even if getting to it felt a bit like a sham. Four of us from our shuttle (me, the 2 English women and the man with the bad knees) climbed into a tiny rowboat and were told to lie down. (Is this sketchy or what?) The boat man rowed us over to the ticket booth to get our tickets, and then we were ready.

The boatman grabbed the chain, laid back with all of us and we squeezed into the tiny cave that held la Grotto Azzura. It really was amazing once inside. The aqua of the water shone with the light that passed under the cave walls. Tiberius used to bring his nymphs here, and I could see how they were enchanted.

The trip inside lasted all of 15 minutes, and once outside we were headed to the dock in Capri. I had no idea what to expect, as I had not really done my research. But I am sure I would figure it out. I always do.

No comments:

Post a Comment