Monday, June 15, 2009

I'm a local!

The next morning, I am feeling a little hazy from the night before. Saber had never really snapped out of the Joseph-drama-slump, even after getting involved in darts tournament with a group of Moroccans, and the late night had a done a number on me. I got up, but not to run, and went straight to Jonata's.

I found my table, my chair, ordered my coffee and got down to business. I had a few work emails to reply too, I had to organize travel, and I just needed to take care of a few things for me. This morning I needed to focus on my world, I would worry about Saber when I saw him at lunch.

Just as this thought past my mind, Saber wanders out into the street and makes a right to head to the shop. He gets half way up the block, stops turns around and sees me at the cafe and wanders over. He looks awful. His hair is crazier that I have ever seen it. He hasn't shaved. He's a mess. Hangovers will do that to you.

He doesn't sit down as he has to get to work, but asks me to bring him a coffee in a few minutes. I can tell he needs some time to himself so I bring him a coffee and head straight back to the cafe. At some point, I get a note on Facebook from him asking me not to speak to Joseph should he show up. No sooner had the note from Saber arrived in my inbox, then Joseph comes out of his building and does the most awkward thing possible. He sits at the table in front of me, facing me, so if I look up I have to look at him and over the two empty chairs between us. What is this old man's problem?!

I roll my eyes and try and focus, when Jonata introduces me to a regular (whom I have yet to meet). His name is Pepe and he had just come from the beauty parlor. Tomorrow, he was getting on a plane for the first time in his life to go and see a lady friend in Hong Kong. 31 hours in the air! I could not believe he had chosen that as his first flight on an airplane! Pepe was excited to practice his English with me, thanked me by buying me a tinto de verano, and then had to leave to go pack.

As soon as Pepe left, the couple that lives in Joseph's building came out with their dog, and sat down for lunch. They smiled and waved "buenas dias". These were the only words we ever exchanged as my Spanish had not progressed from speaking English with Saber.

Next on the scene was a Joseph's lunch date. A middle-aged woman, who could have been the Queen of England the way Joseph was treating her. But hey, good for him. He needed to get some action.

At some point, my computer battery died and I had to get the powercord which I plugged in inside Jonata's and ran the cord outside to my table.

When Saber showed up around 3PM, I think the sight me plugged into the cafe and running the show on the sidewalk got him to snap out of his funk. He was like "what are you doing??!!" with a huge grin on his face. "You have your computer plugged into Jonata's shop, Pepe has bought you a drinks. Joseph is ignoring you. And everyone is waving "hola" to la American. Que pasa?" I was quite proud of myself for the friends I had made at the cafe, and gave him a big smile and said, "I'm officially a local". To which he replied, "You are officially loco."

No comments:

Post a Comment