Friday, June 12, 2009

Sole Man!

Remember how I had referred to Jaime as "quiet and mild-mannered?" Remember how I said the first night he was a bit more vocal? I didn't elaborate much on how entertaining he became, but I will now.

Jaime lives in the same building as Antonio (where we were staying), in the apartment just below. It was already established that Jaime would guide us home, however, in making those arrangements we did not count on Jaime being the most inebriated of our foursome. He is afterall, known for being 'quiet and mild-mannered'.

So our departure from Feria at 5AM was quite comical. The blind truly leading the blind.

There was some debate about taking a cab, as we were all in agreement that Jaime should not be operating a car. Well, almost in agreement, Jaime offered a dissenting opinion.

A cab seemed hard to come by, so we opted for the subway. Whatever the reason we walked for 30 minutes before getting to the station is beyond me, as it had only taken a 5 minute walk to get there... It was a nice night, so I wasn't really complaining, but at 5AM it just seems late, and my dress was feeling like it weighed 200 lbs!

As we ventured down the subway steps, the craziest thing happened. The sole fell off Jaime's shoe! AND he wanted to blame me for it since the shoes were American made! The very idea!

Now if I were to break a heel, I would probably toss it as it wouldn't be fixed anytime soon. Jaime had a different way of thinking. He wanted to carry it in his hand and show EVERYONE. And tell everyone what the American's had done to him. For such a quiet guy he was really making a scene... So when I suggested he put the 'sole' down, he did. He placed it in the breast pocket of his coat!

So onto the subway, a few quick stops and we are out in Jaime's neighborhood. We start walking to the apartment when Jaime realizes his car is somewhere nearby. This led to a wild goose chase in a darkened parking lot -- Jaime leading the charge -- and not finding anything.

I mean, was he really going to attempt to drive a car in this state?!

Just as we gave up and were headed back to the street to walk home, Jaime ran into his car... literally. This resulted in a fit of laughter, mostly from Jaime. The rest of us were a little worn out by his antics, not to mention that is was nearly 6AM. The house was only 2 kms away, so Miguel drove us home. And after putting our "Sole Man" to bed with his shoe, we could all go to bed too.

Another late night in Sevilla, another fun time, another story to tell, and more memories I will never forget...although something told me Jaime may wish otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment